I'll beta test if you'll ship one to Wisconsin!

On 7/18/2015 11:14 AM, Chuck McCown wrote:
I am currently working on a smoker that is similar to ones that sell for about $9K. I will tell you how it turns out...

-----Original Message----- From: Simon Westlake
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2015 9:59 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] Completely OT,but I figure there's some people here into BBQ..

I've been into smoking for a while, been smoking ribs, sausage and
chicken on a cheapo, thin, Home Depot smoker for a few years. They turn
out pretty good, but it's an all day affair of babysitting and hoping
the weather is OK.

I've been looking at some higher end smokers for a while and I'm torn
between something like
http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html and
http://www.ssomd.com/backwoods-smoker-chubby, the biggest differences
between them being one uses pellets and one is charcoal.

I've always used charcoal but the convenience of the pellet smoker is
pretty appealing to me as well. I've been reading reviews online and
I've had a hard time finding info that seems unbiased, there's a lot of
people against pellets on principle and a lot of people for them purely
for convenience. Most of the BBQ forums are pretty religious places (in
terms of their preferences.)

The other problem is that, even if I pick one, there's tons and tons of
manufacturers out there, and if I'm even going to remotely consider
spending $1K+ on a smoker, I want it to be the best. So, anyone out
there with experience with any of these types of units?