That is exactly right. R56, which by the way is updated every couple of
years ago the link to a ten year old one while better than nothing wrong
get you compliant to a demanding site owner.

R56 allows no substitution for multiple conductors instead of larger
gauges. If I remember correctly supplementary bus bars must have conductors
to the main bus bar that:
1 Are at least as large as the largest conductor attached to it.
2. Sized appropriately for the length. ( the gauge increases with length )
3. Adhere to all the other ground conductor rules like bend radius and so
forth.
4. All attachments must use anti ox compound.
And a bunch others I can't remember.

Honestly, if the site owner is a sticker for R56, I would correct it after
an audit find it, unless you are supposed to be the auditor. If he audits
once a year I'll bet he always find something if he knows what he is doing.
I might be able to find my audit sheet if you are interested.

By the way, R56 is only half about protecting equipment. The other half is
about protecting people which is why it can get pretty ridiculous.