From: "Paul McCall" <pa...@pdmnet.net>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:00:10 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] a new one, I think...

OK, so I am working with a grounding expert today, getting some opinions on a
couple difficult towers, and one of the first suggestions he has for me as I
mention that I am looking to do fiber / DC up this tower is… “Have you
considered going solar up the tower?” (to eliminate power surges completely
from going up the tower)

Hmmmm…

So my brain starts wrestling with that… Is it practical?

Say on a tower with a Netonix DC powered switch running at 48v or 24v, powering
6 ePMP APs and 2 320APs, 2 Mikrotik Bhs, and a small Mikortik router.

Would be about 50 watts maximum according to my quick calcs.

Not knowing anything about solar, has battery technology developed enough that
it would be practical (size wise) to have enough batteries and a charge
controller up in a box on a tower? And what size solar panel would I need to
drive that?

Paul

Paul McCall, Pres.
PDMNet / Florida Broadband