I saw a teevee interview with the kid and honestly he seemed like the super
nerdy kid (like myself) who would disassemble stuff and reassemble it to
make it better or "more cool".  He really did not seem provocative or
anything.  He was super excited to show off his "invention".  Granted to us
"expert" adults his invention seems like just a repackaging but give the
kid a break, he's 14 and has probably just learned about electronics and
such.  That was my take on the revere engineering article and the news
interview.

2 cents

-Sean