It all depends on the particular network and the terrain you're dealing
with. If you're mostly doing micro-POPs where your "tower" is a tripod on a
house roof (we have several of those), then yes, it isn't such a big deal
to be able to sync with other towers, since most of them aren't going to be
able to see eachother anyway, but if you're primarily on grain legs and
actual towers that are 100'-300' and they might have LOS to a dozen other
towers, then it's a very big deal to be able to sync the towers with
eachother - if you don't have sync it gets to be a nightmare to try and
coordinate everything.