Remec has circular and rectangular interfaces.  Rectangular I believe is the
more common one.

What you describe though happens more often than you would think.  Don't
kick yourself too hard.  Another common mistake is people not knowing what a
vertical or horizontal waveguide looks like... I think it looks
counter-intuitive as well even though I understand how waveguide works :-)

Thank you,

Daniel White
afmu...@gmail.com
Cell: +1 (303) 746-3590