If I recall correctly and if my understanding isn't completely flawed then it's like this:

If you registered your transmitter before the cutoff date last April then you'll have a protected zone where you can continue to operate under the old rules until 2020.

For the moment, you can continue registering sites and operate legally as you have been doing, but those sites registered after last April's cutoff won't get the aforementioned protection....i.e. they will have to abide by the new rules whenever the new rules take effect.

The spectrum access database doesn't exist yet as far as I know. I hadn't heard any timeline more specific than "in a year or two", and I don't think they can implement the rest of the changes until that exists. Does anyone know who exactly is making that system and what their progress has been like?

I also don't know the details of when PAL's are being sold or specifically how you get them.