The question becomes, what are you trying to ground a tower or a non-pen?
If just a non-pen I would do 6 awg,

I have always looked at distance from grounding source as well, to make the
path of least resistance.   The other thing to look at is if there is
actually a good grounding source, you need to check resistance at the
rod(s), corrosion plays a HUGE factor into "bad grounds".

There are also RF Bibles out there that many guys follow, here is the
motorola one:

https://sites.auburn.edu/admin/facilities/spw-bid-calendar/11-150%20AU%20Regional%20Airport-Construct%20a%20Self-Supporting%20Radio%20Tower/Project%20Documents/1/Motorola_R56_2005_manual.pdf

Just my opinion.

Erich Kaiser