If you are a wireless guy I would fight against any Franchise
requirements.  If my understanding of history is correct franchise
agreements were created to allow other utilities (natural gas & cable)
access to public right of way since they don't fall under the normal ILEC,
CLEC areas.

In recent years this has changed though.  Wireless doesn't need access to
the right of way to get to the customer.  And even Fiber providers can CLEC
and get their access.  This make the need for Franchise agreements moot.

Now with that being said I would tread extremely lightly as you want the
town or muni to want you in their town so barging in demanding access with
no give will not get you anywhere.  As with any good relationship there
needs to be give from both sides.  If you show a compelling enough argument
(which should not be to difficult with current demand) you should not have
much of a problem.

Some areas are going to be harder than others.  But if you can show that
you are a local small business and your care about your customers better
then the "big" guys you should be able to make some progress.

Sincerely,

Jason Pond