right or wrong, we have half our IPs going out one provider and the other
half going out the other, no BGP today

The whole network is the same area, both edge provider routers are
distributing default route, so traffic just goes to the closest edge
(splitting the IP space geographically is not an option)
We have an EOIP tunnel between the two edge routers sending the traffic
where it needs to go

We have a final failure where if one provider is down, and that IP space is
unusabe the other router will NAT that traffic out the alternate provider
(interim until BGP) the problem is if for any reason the EOIP tunnel goes
down, the NAT starts even though the other provider is still up (for the
most part, the EOIP should not go down unless a provider is down but...

I have had no success in finding out how to distribute policy routes, maybe
because you cant or im looking for the wrong terms. Is there a way to say
x.x.x.x/23 via default route distributed from router X and y.y.y.y/23 via
default route distributed from router Y ?

Is this a matter of filters and different areas?