With ordinary omni ceiling mount indoor APs, I've had the best results by
taking a CAD plot of the office space or floor plan in question, turning it
into a high resolution PNG raster image and setting it as the locked,
fixed, unchangeable "background" of an Omnigraffle or Visio diagram. Then
walk around with a handheld dual band device and Android software that
reports actual RSL, make a note for each room/area, and draw the numbers in
varying shades of red/orange/blue/whatever on the map. If you want to
manually draw heatmaps use an oval graphics tool in some shade of
red/orange and set opacity to 50%, draw on top of your basemap floorplan.