I believe Phihong wired it that way so that you can use it as a 3at compliant injector where only two pairs may be present (so 10/100 only). IP phones come to mind. We run into a lot of older-ish structured wiring where they ran only one cat5 and stole one pair for phone and two pairs for ethernet. Not the way I'd do it, but whatever. Most of the phones we're using now have a built-in GigE switch.

I remember seeing in the 450i guide that it will take either polarity on all pairs. If you're not using the aux port, then two pairs for power (30W) will be fine. If you are, or I suppose if it's a long run, then all four pairs for power would be warranted. I really like this PoE design. Would be nice if the regular 450 APs would take 48-56VDC. I know they talked about that at one point, but it looks like we're limited to 30VDC. Well, at least that's what the label says.

The whole pin swapping thing with the 450i and CMM4 is because 56VDC mode on the CMM4 is wired for the split pair 320/430 config. With the AP being pair polarity agnostic, you don't need to do the swapping when using a SyncInjector. Basically it will take the standard Canopy POE pinout, just needs to be >=48VDC. Probably more like >40VDC.

On 1/4/2016 12:50 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
Good point about the power being on 1/2 and 3/6. I guess that makes it 802.3at Alternative A wiring. According to the schematic, 4/5 and 7/8 are wired straight through with no transformer. So gigabit compatible with only 2 transformers. Probably for non gigabit compatible, Alternative B is cheaper because you don’t need any transformers at all. And the 60-75 watt POEs use all 8 wires for data and power, so 4 transformers.
So confusing!
I can’t find any wiring diagrams for the Cambium N000065L001B, but at 60 watts, I guess it must use all 8 wires for power. Hence the price? Something else I notice is the Cambium POE is rated for 0 to 40C, while the Phihong unit is rated –20 to +65C. Cambium tells you to use a PIDU for non controlled environment. Or Netonix or GIGE-POE-APC or Syncinjector. Still, AC powered POEs are handy for configuring radios on the bench, or like that case where I needed a POE at a customer’s office to power a SIP paging amplifier.
*From:* George Skorup <mailto:geo...@cbcast.com>
*Sent:* Monday, January 04, 2016 2:35 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] 802.3at POEs
It's cheaper at Allied: http://www.alliedelec.com/phihong-poe36u-1at-r/70124112/

Yeah, if you're not going to use the Aux port on the 450i, there's no reason to buy a 60W injector. Just keep in mind that this Phihong injector is power over the 10/100 data lines. And is - on 1&2, + on 3&6. It'll work perfectly fine with the 450i APs and 5GHz SMs. And obviously the Exalt ExtendAir G2. The 450i is awesome with the any pair power setup.

The one thing I will say about this thing is that it runs a bit hot and if your hearing is decent, you can definitely hear the switcher whining away.