Yes, they are a pain to align. Our recent experience in aligning the Metrolinq
(beta/test) unit confirms that.
Even though they provided us with scopes to assist. bit it still required a lot
of patience and very slow fine adjustments.

As to the band becoming a commodity, that is the best part about this band.
Since 60ghz-80ghz don't go far, pencil thin beam width and the signals
attenuate with distance (oxygen absorption) , an angular separation of 5-10deg
and or separation of a few feet or so, allows for channel reuse. Plus there is
a large swath of spectrum available. All of these features, make them an ideal
choice for short distance fat pipe deployment. Don't expect 60ghz to go thru
anything, such a walls, have not tested Glass...so they all need a good LOS.
(the beamforming, self steering antennas in consumer devices for this band
become very important ).

I am excited to see the new chip set developments, which is making new products
in this band at a very different price point possible.

Regards.

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street