38 GHz PtMP has been a disaster, business plan wise, ever since the days of
the 45 Mbps DS3 capacity Winstar radios and network...  16, 17 years ago?

38 GHz PTP is a totally viable option for use with 2' and 3' size dishes in
a dense urban environment where there's absolutely no hope in hell of
coordinating a new part101 11, 18 or 23 GHz link thanks to existing rooftop
cellular carriers' backhauls. Nothing wrong with doing a 1024QAM 38GHz PTP
provided that you do the rain fade/link budget and reliability calculations
correctly.