The auto discovery list populates when you refresh an AP. It's basically the AP LUID table, aka SM session status list. And no, you cannot select auto discovered elements and directly update them. What you need to do here is select an AP and enable auto-update. That will upload the software image to the AP, then the AP will start sending the image down to the SMs.