I was looking at getting a Fluke LRAT-2000. Maybe that does the stuff you want? It does work with, identifies and can load test POE. Maybe it wouldn't work with passive POE though. I have no idea. There's a really good deal on it at Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-LRAT-2000-LinkRunner-Ethernet/dp/B007B60FGU

On 2/13/2016 12:52 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:

Yep that's what I'm looking for.

I can do it old school style with a vector analyzer.... but as an example, just the NEXT testing requires twelve different connection arrangements. You have to inject a signal on one pair then test a different pair for signal crosstalk. Repeat for all combinations of pairs. And that's just one test.

Most of the testers I found require DC connectivity to the remote end, mainly to operate the relays in the remote end. Ones which can test without a remote by plugging both ends into the tester are rare. And so on.

It's just frustrating that these testers are so close to what I need yet can't work because of what I need to test.

On Feb 13, 2016 11:33 AM, "Ken Hohhof" <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>> wrote:

    Well, then you’ve never done a wiring job for a business or school
    or govt that requires documented qualification tests on every drop.
    But yeah, I assume Forrest is trying to test that his GbE POE
    doesn’t degrade any of the specs like crosstalk, attenuation,
    return loss, etc., or to quantify how much you have to derate the
    100 meter distance to compensate for inserting the POE?
    I used to have a Pentascanner, but the Fluke website says that
line was EOM in 2004 and EOS in 2008. Way to make me feel old! No idea if the current DSX-5000 can test through the transformers
    in a gigabit POE, or be convinced to run the qualification tests
    even if the DC tests fail.
    *From:* Mike Hammett <mailto:af...@ics-il.net>
    *Sent:* Saturday, February 13, 2016 10:36 AM
    *To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Gigabit "cable validator" which validates
    *through* a Gigabit PoE Injector?
    The only thing that matters to me is iPerf.  :-) Granted, I'm not
    creating components and troubleshooting why when they're in place
    they may not be getting full throughput anymore.

    Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>

<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
    Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>

<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>