It would be like asking the manufacturer of the lock on your door to your house to make a key to let the FBI into your house. Why doesn't the FBI just break the door down?? They are claiming they can't, because the door is too big. I don't think it's Apple's responsibility to make a key to allow them in... if the FBI can get in on their own, then great.

The latest news is now the code was actually changed several hours AFTER the government had the phone in their possession... so now what does that say? Is the FBI just trying to get Apple to write this code so they can have it for other phones??

Travis

On 2/19/2016 6:01 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
If I have a business in Tooele, Utah, I have to have �Knox Box� on the building with a key in it for the building. The fire department has a key for all the knox boxes. Is that much more invasive than unlocking your phone? Nobody is screaming about that. Happens in many cities. If you have windows in your house, anyone can punch one out and get into your house. But you all have windows.
Cops can pull you over with probable cause now.
Are you suggesting that if the code gets released in the wild cops are going to engage in an illegal search using this tool? If they are going to mess with you they will simply plant something on you. If this code gets into the wild and is abused in this nature, abut 50 milliseconds later there will be a new version of iOS that will not work with it. So, firemen can be trusted, right? More than the NSA? Drunken fireman buddy with a cop that wants to use the knox box key can be trusted? The IRS can put all my banking and financial in the cloud now as can my bank. A disgruntled employee is all it would take. The bank and the IRS are more trustworthy than the NSA? I don�t have any family pictures that I would be worried if they got published. I am just not catching this paranoid cynicism that seems to be attached to this issue.
*From:* Travis Johnson <mailto:t...@ida.net>
*Sent:* Friday, February 19, 2016 5:36 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] OT Apple
What if this path continues, and in the future the police officer that just pulled you over for speeding, suspects you might be up to something else... so he then takes your phone, unlocks it from his car, downloads everything to his laptop, and then sends it off to be inspected? Do you want all your private information (banking, financial, family pictures, etc.) now "in the cloud" for anyone with access to see?

Travis