From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Chuck McCown
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:21 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Need FSK APs, will travel

If you have anyone in your shop that has worked with surface mount devices
before, I would seriously try the regulator transplant.  You can take a box
cutter and remove the old one by cutting the pins/legs real close to the body
of the part.  Then use an iron to mop up and remove the leg remenants.

Removing the donor from the SM is a but more touchy.  You will need solder
wick.  Absorb the solder from each leg and try to gently get them to release
one by one.  Sometimes you can pry them up under heat with a long pin or needle.

Once the doner is off and the legs are pretty much straight and looking more or
less like they looked when soldered down, all you have to do is place it on the
board and hit each leg with an iron, supplying a bit of pressure as the solder
on the leg and the solder left on the pad flow.