Chuck,

How far back should an antenna be from an obstruction (if the obstruction
is mandatory and space is limited)?

I found a nice paper with information about empirical RF loss testing
through various materials. The main drawback is the tests are for 0.5-2 GHz
and 3-8 GHz (skipping 2-3 GHz). Found here:
http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/build97/art123.html

Glass test results starting page 141, and wood on page 147. Based on the
published results, it seems I might expect signal loss in the 3 dB range
when moving from behind glass to behind 1" boards, but I'm not sure I can
be as far back as in their testing (1 m from the horn to the specimen).

-Chris