On 3/31/16 9:17 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
Time it.  You will be surprised.  5 minutes.  Gotta drive in, park, get
out, gas cap off, swipe card, wait for authentication, select fuel, wait
for beep, put hose in, pull trigger.  Wait a couple  of minutes, reverse
all of the above, stand in rain, snow gas fumes, noise.

Gas stations are still faster for distance. With my current car I'll do 300-ish mile segments and it only takes 5 minutes to be good to go for another 300 miles. I'm not old enough yet to need/want a 10+ minute rest stop break from driving to recharge an EV from empty. Even over the hill to the bay area would be annoying to wait for a recharge to finish the trip because I just want to get there already and street parking doesn't have charging. Superchargers assume you want to do something else while you wait.

If you aren't really going anywhere far and around town, sure. I'd drive an EV to and from the office and install charge stations at both ends since effectively those are fixed endpoints where the car is going to sit for hours at a time.

And I don't want a hybrid. If it needs any gas I might as well stick with a car: all or nothing. And many of the names are stupid. I don't care about the save the planet angle. Model S got the design right as far as I'm concerned. Model X looks good too. Model 3... eh kind of a step backwards on the body design IMO. I guess at least it's not as ugly as other EV options are. There's still a chance someone will wake up in the next year and think, damn, was I high when I designed the front end? and dial it back a bit. Probably not but maybe.

~Seth