I like beer! But I prefer brown mustard.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 4/10/2016 3:06 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
I’m talking about Comcast’s $10 Internet Essentials.
https://internetessentials.com/
Available if child qualifies for school lunch program. Not a contract or promo price. And you don’t have to live in public housing. I do realize typical residential pricing is around $50/mo. What I’m saying is the “free” price was ridiculous, especially since Google Fiber is so holier-than-thou showing the other ISPs how it’s done. It was either a stunt to get municipal approval, or they honestly believed 10 Mbps was so lame that most people would rather pay for gigabit. No matter what their logic, increasing your minimum tier from $0 to $50 is a helluva price increase. It would certainly seem to offer the local cable and telephone companies an opportunity to offer 10 Mbps at something less than $50, maybe around $30. And maybe get some cable TV revenue. Because lots of people will still be happy with a meager 10 Mbps if it’s affordable, no matter what the elites think. Just like some people are fine with French’s mustard instead of Grey Poupon, and beer instead of wine.
*From:* Josh Reynolds <mailto:j...@kyneticwifi.com>
*Sent:* Sunday, April 10, 2016 4:45 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Google Fiber ends free 5Mbps Internet offer in Kansas City| Ars Technica

I am under the impression you are not familiar with common metro broadband pricing.

Honestly.

I have a rather large spreadsheet of major North American fiber / cable / DSL providers, contracts, misc fees, etc.

Once you get past the "contract promo" pricing, seeing 10Mbps for $45-55+ a month is far from uncommon - especially for the cable cos, which sucks when you see that 10Mbps stay at 2-4Mbps during peak because of how vastly over provisioned much of those networks are.

That said, their 1Gbps pricing (which they want customers on, as gpon ports aren't free in the strategic sense) really stoked a fire under most of the providers asses.