I've been seeing (Well, being reported) strange results even from our On-net Speedtest server recently. Customers on EPMP connections that are reporting 1ms ping times, and out of wack Results. Usually way lower than what the EPMP RF test shows. Like the RF Speedtest will be a solid 20x5, but the speedtest.net to our local server reports 4-5mb, but 1ms ping time. But this result is only like every 5th test. The rest are normal. 20x5 with 15ms pings.

On 4/13/2016 9:29 AM, Mark Radabaugh wrote:
Our policy is that we are only interested on our on-net speed test server, and pretty much refuse to do anything about off-net, unless you can come up with far more interesting data than this guy has.

Mark

On Apr 13, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>> wrote:

I got nowhere explaining Chicago-Atlanta is 1400 miles roundtrip and just based on speed of light, a 1 ms ping was not possible, so the test results were suspect.
Plus he probably doesn’t understand that lower ping time is better.
Life may get interesting when ISPs start publishing their FCC nutrition labels. Some people with nothing better to do will be running speedtests all day and filing complaints. Cheaper than playing the penny slots or video poker.
*From:* Josh Luthman <mailto:j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:51 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] strange customer speedtest
Sir can you try any other Speedtest site besides this one and report back?
Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
On Apr 13, 2016 9:47 AM, "Ken Hohhof" <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>> wrote:
Customer sent these to me complaining about his speed. (don't you love people who take screenshots with their cellphone camera)

The 0.10/0.10 speed may be low, but 1 ms latency from Chicago to Atlanta is excellent! Call the high frequency trading guys. Oops, the next speedtest shows 2656 ms. It's also puzzling this speedtest site chooses the Atlanta server rather than the Chicago server.

I'm assuming the speedtest just failed and showed bogus numbers rather than an error message. Try and explain that to a non technical customer who tries to blame all his problems on slow Internet. This is the guy putting up Ring doorbells all around his property, he's up to 3 of them now. I don't think he uses the Internet for anything other than watch his Ring doorbells and run speedtests.