I did notice the Atmel website had the Microchip logo.   I thought that a bit
odd.

From: Forrest Christian (List Account)
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2016 12:19 PM
To: af
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT Raspberrry pi tease

In case you missed it, microchip bought atmel a few months back,  so either way
you'd going to be using a microchip product.

I haven't heard any details on what the long term prognosis of the avr parts
are.   If it's like previous acquisitions, they'll figure out what they can
build in their own fabs and then weed out any low volume products which they
have to get manufactured by a third party.   Not sure about long term R&D
though....