I am just starting an IPv6 connection with one of our upstream providers.

I have a mikrotik router that they are connecting to on a fibre sfp port with
ipv4 working.

They gave me an IP address and I added it to the port.  I am getting a
“duplicate address detected” error on the IP.

They swear it’s not a duplicate and Mikrotik tells me they use standards.  I
don’t know what to do at this point to get it right.

I can unplug the port, disable then enable the port, and plug it in and it
works….. but if the router reboots or if I disable the port for any reason we
get the same error.

I just lit up a second IPv6 connection with the same provider.  It’s on a
different network and it’s doing the same error.

Does anyone know of a problem with Mikrotik and IPv6 or is my provider not
configuring something correctly.

I also don’t have a loopback on that interface because I read somewhere that it
could cause that issue.

John Babineaux

System Administrator

REACH4 Communications | Website:  <http://www.reach4com.com/> www.REACH4Com.com