Here's a bargain installer laptop that'll take a beating:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITRONIX-GOBOOK-IX-605-VR2-CORE-2-DUO-2-20GHz-DVD-RW-Rugged-80-GB-Laptop-Linux-/252414343516?hash=item3ac511395c:g:TaEAAOSwDV1XQ4HF

$56 with shipping...  Doesn't come with power supply, so you'd need to find
whatever it takes (guessing 17.5V or 19VDC barrel connector, not too hard).