From: Forrest Christian (List Account)
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:18 AM
To: af
Subject: [AFMUG] Power limits per hertz.

I've had a couple of conversations over the past little bit which has gotten me
thinking about power limits in relation to channel width.

This is my thinking.  Assume 5.8ghz, ap side.  Power limit 36dbm.

My question/thought/potential misunderstanding has to do with how that 36dbm is
measured.  Assuming you're comparing a 20 mhz channel with a 10 mhz channel,
both at EIRP limits, does the 10 mhz channel effectively have more Power
density?

Assuming this is the case,  it seems you would gain 3db of link margin for the
increased power density and 3db more for reduced noise floor.  6db is double
the distance which is big, even with the reduced throughput.

Is this the way this works?