Ahhh. the good old days.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 7/10/2016 7:23 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
Remember paper tape? I remember entering the boot code from toggle switches to read the OS from paper tape. And I have a vague recollection of a 2 step compiler or maybe assembler where not only was the source code on paper tape, but the intermediate step was punched onto paper tape and then read back in. Or maybe that’s a bad dream I had.
*From:* Forrest Christian (List Account) <mailto:li...@packetflux.com>
*Sent:* Sunday, July 10, 2016 2:59 AM
*To:* af <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] cnMaestro On-Premise

Some of my really early work was helping to program a system which used a z80 cp/m system for motion control.

The compile step was long enough for a coffee or soda break. Assuming the compiler finished without errors, the link step was long enough to walk to lunch, get lunch, and come back. And still not finish.

At some point we figured out that the process was disk bound (floppies are slow). So we built a ram disk card for the s100 system to speed things up. I think the cp/m driver for that card may have been my first z80 assembly code. Cut the time to almost nothing..

Sadly, that ended our forced lunch breaks.