It was related to the economic impact of broadband via Travis's comment.

This report is also skewed if you really consider the source and peaks.
Many 1Gbps connections are shadowing the hordes of DSL out there.

This has been discussed on several sites in depth now, and the more
accurate data set based on Akamai's state of the internet report that shows
0 states with an average broadband speed of greater than 25Mbps.

The Q1 2016 report is a fantastic resource that breaks down speeds, usage,
ipv4/v6 stats, etc.