I can confirm behavior already observed by other people on this mailing list, Windows 10 updates behave like torrents and can cripple the end user by saturating the internet connection with dozens of simultaneous connections.

I have 3mbps at home and a Windows update running tonight which has crippled internet access for the entire household, including the laptop it's running on. I fixed the rest of the house by putting a limit on the laptop....the laptop itself is still more or less unusable.

1) There's no indication to the user that an update is happening. You have to go look in the Windows Update settings to see the progress meter. What happened to the little yellow shield in the taskbar?

2) There's no way for the user to limit consumption...at least not that I can see. There are a couple of ways to stop it from ever updating, but really I want to either schedule it to do updates from 1am-6am, or limit Windows update to 1mbps.

As a user I find this poorly thought through by Microsoft. More importantly, as a network operator how do I protect customers from this? I'm aware that support staff are receiving more complaints recently where the customer claims their speeds are slow or that their connection is non-functional, and I have a feeling some of it must be this windows 10 crap. Is there a mangle rule that can tag this traffic perhaps?