But you still have to power the radio, so there's still potential for
surge damage. Yes, a more weak point is always going to be a copper
ethernet PHY. However, I will say that our loss rate at towers has
significantly gone down after moving to DC UPS's, fuses (PacketFlux
solid-state even better) and better surge suppressors. Would I like to
completely get rid of POE, absolutely.
I completely support Mike's call for SFPs. Problem is, most vendors
still view that as a way to make more money. They hold it over our heads
claiming the carrier grade argument. While others claiming carrier grade
are nowhere near "carrier grade". And some even make you buy a license
key to use the slot(s).
On 9/19/2016 9:16 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
Especially true if you're colo'd with high powered transmitters.
------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Hammett" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: 9/19/2016 10:12:32 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] DC tower cable bundle
That doesn't do much for me. I don't want any copper data plugged
into my infrastructure. It's another weak point. Yes, I want OOB
management, but I don't want copper data.
-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
The Brothers WISP <http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/thebrotherswisp>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSdfxQv7SpoRQYNyLwntZg>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From: *"George Skorup" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
*To: *[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
*Sent: *Sunday, September 18, 2016 9:46:30 PM
*Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] DC tower cable bundle
Power + fiber is cool and all, but the 1246 brings a cat6 with it.
Which is nice because most licensed radios for example have a
dedicated 10/100 copper management port.
On 9/18/2016 9:31 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f__mi9wJTI ;-)
-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
The Brothers WISP <http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/thebrotherswisp>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSdfxQv7SpoRQYNyLwntZg>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From: *"George Skorup" mailto:[email protected]
*To: *[email protected]
*Sent: *Sunday, September 18, 2016 9:29:57 PM
*Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] DC tower cable bundle
This stuff looks pretty freakin cool...
https://www.shireeninc.com/osc/dfp-1246-data-fiber-power-composite-cable-500ft-spool
On 9/18/2016 9:00 PM, Adam Moffett wrote:
Superior Essex sells a 16/2 and a 16/4 with outdoor jacket
for use on towers.
You could also run a higher gauge wire that will carry the
necessary total amperage and split it at the top with
terminal blocks. You might need something burly for that,
like for four Telrad 1000 BTS's at 100watts each you'd want
at least 6ga THHN going up in a 1/2" conduit, and you'd have
around 5% heat loss at 100m. But that's a smaller footprint
on the tower than 16/4 x 4, or 16ga THHN x 16.
My quick figuring with home depot prices says it's cheaper to
run the pair of 6ga than to run a bundle of 16ga. If you
bump up to 4ga it's still cheaper than running all 16's, but
by less margin. The downside of course is that you can't
power cycle an individual unit, and maintenance (like
replacing DC SS) would affect everything instead of just the
one unit.
If you did run one big cable up, you'd still need individual
outdoor jacketed cables to branch out to the base stations.
I'm not sure of the cost difference vs Superior Essex, but
I've also seen outdoor speaker wire at 16ga.
------ Original Message ------
From: "Craig Schmaderer" <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>
To: mailto:[email protected] <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
Sent: 9/16/2016 5:24:43 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] DC tower cable bundle
Looking for advice on what my options are for running 16
DC conductors around 16 awg to power LTE and/or medusa
radios on a tower. Hybrid fiber option would be ok too.
I know I have seen Verizon on some of our towers use the
hybrid cables. Thanks, Craig.
/Craig R. Schmaderer/
/CEO | Skywave Wireless, Inc./
/Ph: 402-372-1975 | Fax: 402-372-1058/
/Direct: 402-372-1052/