Yeah, we will be adding a local source. Thanks for the advice for the number of sources. We will do that too.

-----Original Message----- From: Seth Mattinen
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2016 8:55 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Update on DHCP - Calix failures

On 10/10/16 7:32 AM, Chuck McCown wrote:
I am guessing that Xmission was giving us a malformed or otherwise
unpalatable NTP time hack.  Calix reacted by setting the RTC to goofy
time.  I have never dug into the internals of NTP.  I guess the next
step would be to wireshark that and figure out what is going on.  But
Calix should fall back to secondary NTP or freerun if it does not like
what it is getting.  And give an alarm.

How many tickers were configured? Good practice is to configure at least
4 from different sources so that NTP can detect a false ticker or bad
time source. Configuring two is bad. If you only have the option to
configure one or two NTP servers then only do one but sourcing off a
time server that has at least four. NTP doesn't do "primary" or "secondary".

These are cheap to have your own GPS clock: https://www.css-timemachines.com

~Seth