Funny you should mention that. I just listened to a Freakonomics podcast that discussed that very issue. You can listen to the podcast (about 47 minutes), or probably read through the arguments in the text a bit quicker. This is essentially a discussion between Stephen Dubner (Mr. Freakonomics) and Eric Posner (a professor at the University of Chicago Law School). Dubner asserts that the President doesn't really matter, but Posner has not quite the opposite point of view.

   http://freakonomics.com/podcast/u-s-presidency-become-dictatorship/

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>