cactiez will get you into cacti quick to test with it, if youre like me and
not a linux guy this is the quickest avenue to get there, its not windows
based but its web based so you can access it from windows, just set up a
vm, even if its a local instance of vmplayer or virtualbox, just remember
when the vm is running through a poll cycle its going to toast your machine
if its not beefy

you can downloads snmpc from castlerock demo to see some really cool and
easy things youll be priced out of, but you can get quick visualization of
stuff you can do without a learning curve.