We just did two 11+ mile links on HP3-11's. And the guys ended up about 20dB from target RSL on both of them. I said you're stuck on side lobes, try again. They were all like, well, how are we supposed to aim these things if it's hazy and we can't see the other end? I promptly and semi violently explained that you get behind the motherf***er and eye it up with that house/tree/whatever a 1/2 mile away that I told you was in the center. And then you peak it out with the volt meter. This shit ain't rocket science. No, instead you were 10 degrees off of where I told you. Sometimes you can't fix derp.

In your case though, why way off on one side? Sounds more like Tx power setting. Maybe ATPC is on and misconfigured? I did that on a Trango once. Confused the hell out of me for a few minutes until I saw what I did.. or didn't do (set power per mod in the ATPC setup).

On 10/24/2016 9:45 PM, Sterling Jacobson wrote:

That’s probably exactly what happened.

They spent hours on it and were still way off on dB on one side only.

That’s why I assume the other side is angled or rotated too far (dual polarity X-Pic).

One guy didn’t even use the volt meter, just had someone read dB from the web page.

They didn’t even ask for angles, degrees, nothing.

Just all by supposed line of sight, no scopes, and not even binoculars I think.

I wasn’t too happy about the whole situation, so I don’t want a repeat of that.

It’s less than 10 miles across Utah Lake, one end on a leg on a tower on top of a mountain, the other on a smaller tower attached to concrete wall near the freeway.

*From:*Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] *On Behalf Of *Ken Hohhof
*Sent:* Monday, October 24, 2016 8:38 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] UT Local Ceragon Installer

Are these big dishes? Did you not get a well defined peak during alignment? Is the signal more than a couple dB less than predicted, like 20-30 dB low? You’re on a sidelobe. I’ve had experienced tower guys run into this. They tend to be stubborn and believe they can align a dish with a 1 degree beamwidth by eye, and then they spend half an hour trying to tweak the alignment to get an extra 1 dB when they’re 20 dB off. Once the signal starts getting worse, they go back the other way instead of continuing. Convince them to do a wide sweep, and they find the main lobe. You have to go through the valley to find the mountain.