Hi,

This is a small "town" that is directly connected to my hometown of Idaho Falls. The road I drive to work on, the west side of that street is Idaho Falls, the east side is Ammon. We had a lot of wireless customers in the Ammon area when I was a WISP. They have been working on this fiber project for almost 10 years.

It's a very interesting way to do it. They have bundled the $3,000 installation into a low interest "bond" kind of thing that is attached to the property... so that's about $15/month for 20 years. Then they have a small transport/utility fee for the fiber itself of $16.50/month.

The most amazing part is the user can switch between providers from a website, picking the speed and service that they want, and it changes their service immediately. It will be interesting to see how this goes. They are supposed to have their first residential customer live by the end of this year.

They are saying 100Mbps x 100Mbps service would be about $60-$70 per month total (with $0 installation cost).

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/what-if-switching-fiber-isps-was-as-easy-as-clicking-a-mouse/

Travis