Chuck wrote:
>> In all fairness, we are talking about fairly small projects done by local
>> governments. It's not like there
>> is a Big Bad Fiber Network being built by the Feds.
>
> Not yet.

You know something I don't know? :)

I'm having a hard time believing BBFN would ever get off the ground,
politically speaking.

>>  A great hospital might be stretching it, but why should you not have fiber?
>
> Because you chose to live in BFE.  That is what those that oppose universal
> service would say.  Those that
> oppose USF etc.  You choose to live in BFE, no hospital, no fiber.
  A corollary to this is that the same people will protest loudly and try to
stop you if you say: "Fine, I'll do it myself with my own money. I'll get my
neighbors together and get the county to loan us the money to build it. Then
we'll pay back the loan, every cent of it!"

Jared