It won't even let you restore the binary .backup if you don't have the password.

I think you're pretty much SOL unless you can get some cooperation from the old guy(s). Maybe contact MikroTik support and beg for help?

It really would be nice if MikroTik had some kind of password recovery/reset from the serial console at least. This is why I have all routers generate a binary .backup as well as a plain text /export. I never want to be caught in a situation where I don't have any config whatsoever for a router.