Any security holes are perfectly secure until they are discovered. Having a
backdoor into your products can be argued as good or bad, mostly depending
on whether customers know or not.

But the crux is that having a hard-coded password on devices is still
monumentally stupid, when it's trivially easy to secure a backdoor in such
cases (as long as the private key isn't stolen), e.g. the method of the
password being a hash of the unit's MAC address run through public key
cryptography.. that way customers need to contact tech support with the
unit's MAC address to get the reset password.