I've done several AF-5X links with no issues.  Today we replaced a
Powerbridge 3.65 link with AF-3X and it just won't work.  Master says
beaconing, slave says syncing.

Is there some trick to these other than the obvious bad radio, antenna or
jumper?  It's on the same channel as the Powerbridges which had great RF
performance, so it shouldn't be an RF path problem.

The only thing I did nonstandard was I decided to mount the antennas (Mars
panels) as V-H instead of dual slant.  I don't need to swap V and H at one
end or something weird like that, do I?

I looked for any config items I might have wrong, there's not much.
Ubiquiti's LBT implementation doesn't seem to have alternate frequencies.
I'm not sure what it would say if it was not transmitting because of LBT.