even the current v9 looks like the v6 i started on
its got web interface with views, and a simple netflow
but man, the configurability, the tiered automated responses, the pure snmp
of it all, I missed it
if we end up re upping our contract on it we wil get the new bells and
whistles in the january release, im not expecting alot
but its a simple download, install and its running, that simple
we can give customer service tools with a clean (ish) interface to do any
snmp task from a simple menu, it auto layed out my ospf network clean, a
few interface edits later and it visualizes my ospf path, if i can figure
out syntax in custom tables I can automate that task too
I did however run into a mib compile issue, the machine im running the demo
on I had an earlier test system where i was dicking with mibs, when i
compiled i lost all of them, so i had to uninstall it, the rrd folders are
so deep that windows took forever to remove the millions of subfolders
i did alot of customization back then but didnt know how to document or
what I actually was doing, now this beast will be like a magic chicken
but it msrp 12.5k i believe, so its a tough one to get into upfront,
however theyre very liberal about renewing expired support contracts

one really cool thing thats on the board for this is one of our nationwide
contract services customers, we drop a poller into their domain, give them
access to just their user folder and they have what equates to a full
instance on their network