Watch and read Epilogue 3001 YouTube video...the monoliths were left by the
First Born to monitor and advance their experiments across the galaxies as
they evolved.  When humans achieved space travel and discovered TMA1 on
moon, that signaled one of Jupiter.... curious man just like curious
MoonWatcher (your distant African cousin) takes next step
..for ape-man ,it as killing to get control of water a source, for man it
was mission to Monolith on Jupiter and thus StarGate.... eventually we
would evolve beyond the tyranny of matter.... while not yet God's,they were
ethereal and eternal...
In all their travels, they never found anything more precious than mind....