That Alpha FXM looks like a really nice one-and-done type of solution. Unfortunately if you need A/C, then I think every good option is kind of in that price bracket.

If you went all DC you'll have a lot more parts and assembly, and when it's all done you might only save a few hundred bucks...... IMO the reason to use all DC is you'll save enclosure space, gain a little efficiency, and you end up with a modular system you can add new features onto like a switchable PoE injector or what-not.

I've used an inverter/charger from AIMS power. I think their smallest unit is 2000 watts though, so it might be a waste for only 600 watts. If you do get an inverter/charger, the cheapest thing you can add to tell if your power is on or off is any managed device that you plug into AC and just ping it. You might use (for example) a WiFi AP; which is convenient to have at your site anyway, but doesn't affect service to customers when it goes down. When that device goes down you know your power is off. The second cheapest thing is a Packetflux Site Monitor, and that gives you a lot more options such as the option to add a current shunt in line with your battery.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Ken Hohhof" <af...@kwisp.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 12/27/2016 9:21:32 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Battery backup at large sites

I’m a little unclear, are you looking for an AC UPS, or to run everything off DC? You mention inverter so I’m thinking you want an AC system?

Also, is this going in a controlled environment like a NOC, or will it be in an outdoor temperature environment?

And what is your budget? Sounds like you are finding $1,000 too expensive?

If you are looking for an AC UPS that you attach your own battery bank to, that is spec’d for outdoor temps, and that has all the features built in, look at Alpha FXM series. Crossover Distribution can get you quotes. FXM650 would meet your power requirements, but I’d look at FXM1100 as long as you’re OK with a 48V battery string.