Yeah, the actual radiating elements just need to be able to survive their
environment.  But the feed is everything.  Bandwidth, impedance, pattern.
Everything is affected by the feed.

From: Cameron Crum
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 9:29 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Infinite Electronics Acquires KP Performance Antennas

I'm sure Chuck will agree that in antenna design, the way you feed the elements
is much more important that the elements themselves. It is easy to build a
patch or dipole element using thin pieces of copper or aluminum. Feeding them
correctly for impedance matching and pattern shaping is the hard part, and
typically consists of very thin "stripline" transmission lines. Once you have
the template though, stamping them out or laser cutting is pretty straight
forward. Why use expensive materials and processes when you don't need to?