Is there any other switch out there with around 48 ports 1U of SFP ports?

I would use an IBM or Force10, but their power consumption is MUCH higher per 
1U/Port than the Planet switch.

Was going for low power high port density SFP switch with a few SFP+ 
ports/access.

Maybe I should be looking at a plane/card system with shared power backplane?

-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of George Skorup
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:44 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Planet Switch

I would definitely lock the SFP+ interface(s) to 1G or 10G, whatever is 
installed in the slot. Auto might work the first time, but if the link goes 
down, it won't work again until you force it and then set back to auto, or 
reboot the switch. So just leave it forced.

On 1/10/2017 1:20 PM, Sterling Jacobson wrote:
> It's a GS-5220-46S2C4X 48 port SFP switch with four SFP+ ports.
>
> So maybe I need to lock down the SFP+ port to 10Gbps.
>
> Also, I can't seem to find updated firmware for this switch.
>
> Is Planet actively supporting and updating firmware for their switches?
>
> The original and only firmware appears to be from 2015.
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of George Skorup
> Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:07 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Planet Switch
>
> What model Planet 48 SFP switch are you using? My experience is with the 
> MGSW-28240F. The SFP+ slots will work on auto... until they don't. Auto in 
> this case being 1G/10G module speed detection. I don't think there's ethernet 
> auto-negotiation on those interfaces at all. You have to set the other end at 
> 1G or 10G FDX or the link won't work. If the other end is a MikroTik, the 
> interface will show up, because it's dumb and simply sees light and thinks 
> it's good.
>
> On 1/10/2017 8:24 AM, Sterling Jacobson wrote:
>> I have a 48 port SFP switch with four SFP+ ports that keeps losing 
>> connectivity randomly to my IBM switch.
>>
>> It requires a reboot to fix.
>>
>> Nothing in the logs or reported by either switch other than the link is down 
>> from the IBM switch.
>>
>> Anyone seen or experienced this with Planet?
>>

Reply via email to