Well, I'm not sure young kids ever did, but it was taught in schools at one
time. My daughter went to a Classical school up until this year so they got
lots of it. Latin since 3rd grade, lots of classical literature. I'm making
my son do it as well although he has dyslexia and that private school
wasn't a good fit. I feel bad for the kids who never get this stuff.