Hard to keep a distributor happy if you compete with them.

My e commerce site has higher prices on purpose and I warn folks during the
checkout phase that they can get better pricing through the distributors.

From: Rory Conaway
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 11:55 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Ubnt distro cheaper then Amazon prime

The margins are so small and shipping costs so high for some equipment, it’s
hard for the distributors to compete against free shipping.  Then throw in the
fact the equipment shows up in 1-2 days on Prime pretty much guaranteed, return
policy is extremely easy and doesn’t cost you a restocking fee, and you know if
they have it in stock before you order.  If you are ordering small quantities,
it’s a problem for distributors, especially when other distributors like Flytec
are using Amazon.  Then there is the fact that some equipment is eligible for
extended warranties, Mikrotik and AF24’s come to mind, and no distributor has
that.  I wrote about this a while back and haven’t seen any changes from
distributors.  Right now though, distributors have terms for some companies and
that alone has value.

Rory