From: "Justin Marshall" <just...@pdmnet.net>
To: "af@afmug.com" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: 3/31/2017 12:55:43 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] Strange OSPF problem

Hi,

I have an odd situation with OSPF.

There are 2 towers (Tower A and Tower B) and a NOC involved that feeds both towers.

Tower A is directly connected to the NOC via Mikrotik Backhaul. Tower B is directly connected to the NOC via Fiber.

Tower B is connected to Tower A via Fiber.

When tower A is running straight off the NOC (via Mikrotik Backhaul) everything works as it should.

We are trying to make a switchover to have Tower A run off Tower B so it will be a Fiber connection all the way to Tower A (through tower B) and eliminate the Mikrotik Backhaul.

When I change cost on the OSPF interfaces to make this happen, all customers work as they should and following the normal path to/from the Internet as expected. However, for one of the customers on Tower A, traceroutes to that one customer stop at Tower A (through tower B) from the NOC. Traceroutes towards the NOC, from the customer stops at Tower B.

All customers are on the same subnet.

I can directly ping the customer in question from both Tower B and Tower A (and the traffic is taking the correct path), but not from the NOC. From the NOC all traffic stops at Tower B

The only real difference for the customer that is not working is they are using a Sonic Wall, and the other customers have Mikrotik routers behind the CPE's. We have tried elimating the sonc wall, and replacing it with a laptop for testing, and the traffic flow failed in the same way.

Tried all kinds of things and we are quite stumped.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin

just...@pdmnet.net