We have run bind authoritative since I got here. They were both virtual
appliances when I took over, an Ubuntu variant that was no longer
supported, so I moved them to centos with webmin for gui management. We
added on net recursive last year, centos with webmin, all our Linux is
webmin, clustered so all the Linux infrastructure is centrally managed.
Still bind 9, but solid.
It's made a huge difference for reverse lookups on our rfc1918 space to
verify what our ospf is doing. A simple set of acls isolates out dns from
the world, some policies protect us from on net bot net or otherwise
malicious dns traffic that would compromise our servers. It does make a
huge difference being on net recursive cached. Overall dns traffic actually
decreased. And considering the huge hassles we had handing out opendns that
forced us to move to Google dns as primary, it's like jesus became erect
and spat joy across us. Turns out to be a whole lot less complicated than
expected, and super easy to add redundancies.