The article is light on those facts.  I don't think lead acid can hit these
numbers though.  I'd guess 1500 cycles at 80% DOD optimistically.  So you'd
need to replace it 4-5 times over 20 years.  Even at $100/KWH battery cost
for lead acid, it blows up to $400-500 over 20 years.  That's 7+ cents cost.

Maybe pumped hydro or something more like that?