Yes.

If it's a multi-story house, putting the wireless router in the middle of the
house is better most of the time.

I like wireless routers with antennas that are external and can be arranged
like TV antennas of old.

Not sure what the state of Mesh/Handoff is on Mikrotik these days, but you
could try placing a router in the wiring area/closet, then an AP on an Ethernet
extension.

I've got a lot of opinions about this subject.

My current home router solution is Amplifi, but not the wireless mesh system,
the newer boxed set with three box like units where one is the router and the
other two are wired to other parts of my house.

It works better that way.

I've also used the top of the line Asus mothership and Netgear Nighthawk
mothership from a year or so ago.

They work well, even from my rambler basement under metal, but there were still
dead spots on the other side of the house through solid concrete etc.

They had the advantage of not having to use a handoff between wireless antennas.

But they still had moments of re-attachment to wireless and odd random
streaming problems.

And their software and phone apps sucked ass.

Amplifi has a much simpler set of configs and their app is great.
I would like to see them expand a bit in an expert/advanced mode so I can
control a bit more.

I would also like to see them incorporate some of their device stats
functionality from their enterprise line, but that's just me wishing for a
Ferrari while paying for a Tesla.